A few weeks ago, we shared the news that MasterCard, Visa, and American Express were planning to adopt a new Merchant Category Code (MCC) created by the International Standards Organization (ISO). Several anti-constitution politicians, including NY Governor Kathy Hochul and MA Senator Elizabeth Warren, pressured the ISO into creating this new MCC specifically for gun dealers. The short version of this update is that certain politicians want to be able to track YOUR firearms purchases. Our response to this update is 4-fold: layaway, an ATM in the store, a cash discount, and instant financing. Today, we are rolling out the first step: 60-day Layaway.
Our goal in offering 60-Day Layaway is simple. You can pay cash over the 60 day layaway period, so your friendly neighborhood anti-gun politician can’t see that you’ve been shopping at your favorite local gun store. It’s that simple.
We’ve received some early feedback like, “this MCC is for the credit card companies…the Government can’t use it to track your purchases.” C’mon, let’s be honest: the government can get access to that data literally anytime they want to. Historical behavior predicts future behavior. Unfortunately, we’re all well aware that our Federal government is increasing its tendency to skirt the constitution at the behest of certain politicians.
In order to achieve our goal, we’ve created our 60-Day Layaway Policy. The points below are very specific, and require both customer and SharpShooters Associate signature.
- Layaway purchases are available in-store only, and not on ssusa.co.
- Items eligible for layaway are at SharpShootersUSA Management discretion.
- No more than one (1) layaway per customer at any given time.
- No more than one (1) firearm per layaway.
- Minimum down payment is 20% of the total ticket including tax.
- Fees: There is a $25 layaway fee for non-members of SharpShooters USA.
- Cancellation: Layaway customers forfeit 50% of deposit/s if the customer cancels the purchase within thirty (30) days of the purchase date. No cancellations after thirty (30) days.
- Layaway Customers have sixty (60) days to pay the total ticket amount.
- If, after sixty (60) days, the customer has not paid the total ticket amount, layaway customers will forfeit 100% of deposits paid to date.
- Extensions: If you need to extend your layaway, we will grant one (1) thirty (30) day extension. The fee to extend a layaway purchase is $100 and is at the General Manager’s discretion.
- Because we must pull sold items off the sales floor and off of our website, all layaway purchases are as is with no refunds or exchanges.
- If you are denied by the NICS background check system, you will forfeit 100% of your deposit/s
60-Day Layaway Now Available
Pretty specific, huh? We did a lot of research in setting up our layaway plan. What we learned is that retail stores can get into a big mess if they don’t have a very tight layaway program. We want to be in good shape to serve our loyal customers. This layaway program will do just that.
You can now purchase firearms on layaway in the store at SharpShooters.