- This event has passed.
Intro to Defensive Pistol June 18, 2022 / 10am – 1pm
This course is Intro to Defensive Pistol and is taught by Maddy Scholar.
Focus: Use of pistol in a self-defense situation.
- Completion of the SharpShooters USA waiver
- Eye protection
- Electronic ear protection
- Rental pistol (If you own your own pistol, you are highly encouraged to bring it and use it for the class)
- 50 rounds ammunition (If using a class handgun, ammunition must be purchased through SharpShooters USA).
Minimum number of students: 4
Whether you are a brand new shooter or have grown up around guns but have limited shooting experience, this is the course with which we recommend you start. Intro to Defensive Pistol will lay the proper foundations for you to build upon as you continue through your progression of skill. This course will help you understand and become comfortable with a firearm while also revealing any bad habits that need to be addressed. Of course, safety is the main concern and will be addressed to the fullest in this course so that you leave knowing exactly how to handle a firearm without causing injury to yourself and others.
Intro to Defensive Pistol also begins to open the conversation about self-defense. Understanding why the firearm is the last resort option is crucial, as well as understanding conflict avoidance is the main premise of the course. However, understanding how to safely and effectively use a firearm in a worst case scenario situation is critical and will be discussed from a general perspective in this course.
Some of the areas of discussion include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding the gun (caliber, bullets, cycle)
- Loading and Unloading
- Fundamentals (grip, stance, sight variations, trigger prep)
- Choosing a firearm
- Range etiquette
- Defensive concepts and mindset
- Liability and protection (a USCCA representative will join as a guest speaker)
- And more….
Your path to becoming a Sharpshooter won’t stop here. Following completion of Intro to Defensive Pistol it is recommended that you take Skill Builder 1, Skill Builder 2 and Skill Builder 3. These are NOT a part of the class and must be purchased separately. These are 1 hour mini sessions designed to practice what you have learned in Intro to Defensive Pistol to help you retain the information learned and build muscle memory through repetition.