The Campus Safety course is taught by Maddy Scholar.
This course is designed for both high school and university students, anyone living in an apartment, or parents of those who are attending a university. In the Campus Safety course you will learn about the dangers of complacency and discuss the warning signs and indicators of an attack.
Students will discuss the importance of:
- having an accountability system with roommates;
- a plan while going out with friends;
- the importance of designated drivers;
- avoiding “looking like a victim”; and
- putting away lethal distractions, such as cell phones.
Student will also:
- begin to understand the concept of conflict avoidance, including social media awareness;
- how to secure an apartment; and
- constant acknowledgement of exits in a public setting.
Finally, we will discuss various techniques and tools that can be discretely used in self defense, such as:
- tactical pens;
- personal alarms; and
- pepper spray.
Students will get hands-on practice using inert pepper spray canisters.